Sunday, November 28, 2010

Mariam’s “Save me from my lack of foodie-ness” Salad

I have this friend that I consider something of a foodie. She likes home-made food and works valiantly to avoid using processed foods in her cooking. I love this friend.  And, despite the fact that I like blue frosting that comes in a can, she loves me, too.  Anyway, one day, I invited this friend and her kids over for lunch.  I wanted the lunch to be special, a little more grown up than the standard PBJ or pizza thing we did when the kids were involved.  But what?  I wanted something savory, but light, substantial but not heavy. Now, this friend would have been fine with whatever the heck I came up with, because she’s laid back like that, but I wanted to do something great.  Special.  Something worthy of this friend’s palate. Something awesome.

And…I was at a loss.  I couldn’t think of anything to make.  With only a couple of hours before my friend was to arrive, I had nada.

Luckily for me, I ended up on the phone with another friend, who sadly, lives too far away for her own play date, but who is also something of a foodie, and deserves her own post for not only her culinary talents, but her other merits as well.  I digress…so, I was telling her about my dilemma and before I could get really melodramatic, she gave me the answer.  A salad so good, so tantalizing, so perfect, I could have smooched her.  In fact, I think I actually made kissy noises on the phone as we said good bye.  Anyway…

My play date friend was delighted with the salad (so was my hubby, who happened to be home for lunch that day. Oh, and the kids opted for grilled cheese sandwiches, which was fine with me—more yummy salad for the grown ups!) and I owe mucho gratitude to Miss Mariam for giving me such an awesome recipe. 

I don’t currently have photos of this salad, but as soon as I make this again (soon, my pretties, very soon) I’ll take some, and post them for your viewing delight. Now, onto:

Mariam’s Salad

1 container spring mix salad greens
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
black olives
pine nuts
feta or chevre cheese
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
sea salt
pepper
meat from rotisserie chicken (or two cooked chicken breasts) chopped into bite-size chunks

Mix greens, tomatoes, and onions, scatter black olives, pine nuts, and cheese to taste.  Sprinkle with oil and vinegar, sea salt, and pepper, to taste.  Add chicken chunks and toss gently.  Serve with a light soup or crusty bread.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment